Thursday, November 18, 2010

Successful work day

I Tried to finish up all of the electrical issues today.  While I intended to take the day off work, I ended up with 6 hours of phone calls, with more I need to do tonight.  That plan didn't work so well.  I did get to spend a lot of time with Doug in the late morning through through the afternoon and things are much better on the car so I guess it worked out.

For starters, the electrical punch list is down to minor items, with the consult being the only critical one.  Since we didn't have the parts, we got nothing done there.  At least this isn't mandatory to go racing, but it is a very nice capability to be able to talk to the ECU and see what it is "thinking".



Our biggest surprise of the day, was when we started the car, voltage was 12V and dropping while it ran.  First guess was that the alternator was DOA.  A quick test of pulling the battery confirmed that sure enough the alternator is toast.  We have a spare but for the wrong motor.  The connectors are all the same, but in different places.  We got it installed and wired through in pretty quick order, and now the car is charging and running.  Just need to make sure the wires by the exhaust are well secured as they are getting pulled towards the exhaust now.

From there is was (for me) all small items but ones that needed to get done.  Tie-wraps, fuel gauge, temp gauge, data acq, video, fan (more wires pulled when the engine went in), and the fuel pump controller rounded things out.  Doug installed the exhaust while all my work was topside.

Overall my goal was to be done enough that when the engine went it, that it could be started, and to be completely done by Thanksgiving to give the rest of the team time to shake things out.  While I missed trying to be ready for the engine, I'm finishing today feeling optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment