Friday, September 14, 2012

Day one, couple problems

We spent the whole day trading drivers every 20 minutes. Generally both cars were working very well and we had a lot of happy drivers with the exception of the temps at the track being close to 100 degrees. Lots of water seemed to be taking care of that problem.

The Z came in at one point with fuel spilling past the gas cap. The thought with the temps as high as they were, is the tank was pressurizing and pushing the gas out in the turns. So a vent line was added and the last driver hit the track.

The vent line was up front, and as soon as the car was up and running, gas was pouring out the vent onto the windshield, right above the exhaust manifold. I'm been told before it is the oil leaks that catch a car on fire, not gas leaks. I wasn't brave enough to put that concept to the test. I brought the car in as I wasn't interested in turning the elf into a car-b-q.

I think rod would have preferred I did cook the car though as he is the one now standing in the pits shaking his head asking why we thought racing was a good idea in the first place.

Also (as if we needed more) I was complaining that the brake pedal had too much travel. Peter checked out all the wheels and we are short a rear pad. I was driving with just the piston pushing on that brake. Not sure how we lost a pad, but Claus is wrenching away putting the breaks back together.

Meanwhile the D just sits. It finished the day without any issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment