Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Training Program




When I heard that Claus had run the last track in GT4 for countless hours, my first thoughts were those of one of my driving school instructors warning that "some people learn the line and get a head start, while others learn that crashing doesn't hurt".  Then Claus proceeded to have lap times 10 seconds a lap faster than me in the forward direction and about the same speed when they ran the track backwards.  10 seconds a lap!!!  Guess I need a new training routine for the next race.

So for considerably more than $500, I have a new TV, and with it a PS3 (as blu-ray player or course) and a copy of GT4.  I picked GT4 since it has both a Z31 and Sears point which seemed to cover both our car and the next race nicely. 

This weekend I got everything all set up.  At this point I wanted to report my best laptimes and start a friendly competition to see who could get the best times online and then compare those times to the actual track times in March.  Unfortunately GT4 doesn't work on the PS3, only the PS2 so that plan didn't work so well.  Feel free to post times anyways.

Anybody have a cheap PS2 for sale?

5 comments:

  1. Through the magic of ebay and Muddy, a PS2 has just arrived at home. Now I just need to stop traveling so I can plug it in a put down some laps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After about a week of working the get enough credits, I was able to buy a Stock Fairlady (Z31). In the practice mode, stock car, Economy E1 tires, and running through two sets of cones to drive the Lemon's course, my current best time is:

    2'18.021

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plugged everything in today and started running laps. I have turned a 2:14 in the S130 (1978 280ZX Fairlady). Time trial mode everything default except for Traction control and ABS off. I didn't drive the lemons course, will try that tomorrow but I'm sure it is a slower route.

    How much did you have to do to unlock the Z31? I purchased a Civic Type R to start Grand Turismo mode start getting points. Just ran my first race and came 6th out of 6 so I'm sure I'll be turning it over to the boys this week to get some points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Z31 becomes available in the Used HIstoric cars (ouch historic???) fairly early. The Z31 however costs ~11K and it does take some time to make that much credits. Having the boys run to make enough credits would be good.

    As for the lemon route, I have yet to see the route as an offered track version. Claus reminded me that you can run the Lemon route on the offer track, by simply running laps an blowing thought the two cone areas on the first lab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy morning, lots and lots of laps to unlock the car and then 25 practice laps in time trial mode. Eventually turned a 2:11.9 but 2:20 is a much more normal lap for me. The tank slapper is well simulated though.

    ReplyDelete